Monday, August 07, 2006

Virtual Postcard

I don't want to write a detailed post about every little thing we did on vacation. How boring is that? Instead I'll just give a few highlights and then move on to other, more interesting things tomorrow. If I can think of any, that is.

On the way to Branson we passed a l-o-n-g line of military vehicles. They had written on the back of the first few to honk to support them. The Hubster only honked twice and then told me I had to wave instead. I waved for awhile as we passed and got lots of honks from the servicemen. The kids and I loved it. I changed my waving to a thumbs up partway through and then finally started actually looking at the drivers as we passed. Drama Queen started looking too--and noticed that some of the guys were pretty darn cute. Once we had passed the last vehicle, I jokingly commented that I had done my patriotic duty for the day. Drama Queen piped up with, "Me too, looking at cute boys!"

We thought we were going to escape the heat when we left town. Oh, how wrong we were! In all reality, it was a little bit cooler--99 instead of 104. Once it gets that high, though, who can tell the difference? We figured out very early on that the only way to stand it was to ride the water rides first so we could be wet when standing in lines for the other rides. We spent lots of time at theme parks. Lots of time. The majority of our time was split between two amusement parks and a water park. We had a park hopper pass, so we got to go to them as many times as we wanted for 4 days. That's a lot of walking, folks, let me tell you.

We rode tons of rides compliments of Dramamine. I went through almost an entire bottle of it while we were there. Have you ever tried the less drowsy kind? For me it means that I am fine for the first 4 hours but watch out after that. I imagine it's the equivalent of slipping me a mickey. And the bonus is that it lasts for 24 hours. I got up Tuesday morning, ate breakfast by myself since everyone else was asleep, and gratefully crawled back in bed when The Hubster asked to sleep just a little longer. The next thing I heard was him asking the kids if I was ever going to get up. It was 10:30, and they were ready to go have some fun. We went shopping for awhile--rather they shopped and I staggered around in a bleary fog. I begged to go back to the camper because I just couldn't handle it anymore. I dropped back into bed as soon as we got there. I never even knew my family went swimming--for 3 hours. They woke me up at 7:00 that evening, and I finally felt awake. So much so that I had a hard time going to sleep that night.

We didn't buy any souvenirs, but guess what I brought back. You'll never guess in a million years. A real, honest-to-goodness TAN! Woo hoo! Of course tanning on my body is very different from most people, but I have tan lines. I wore a tank top or sleeveless shirt everyday because it was so dang hot. My shoulders are a lovely shade of reddish brown, the red being a little more prominent because I do tend to burn instead of tan. But hey! I'll take whatever I can get! I'm so excited I'm thinking about taking pictures. hee hee

We had a great time while we were gone, but I was ready to come home. I would have been fine if we had packed up and left on Friday instead of Sunday, but staying gave us a chance to have dinner with my parents. They are vacationing in Branson this week, so we left our camper there for them to use. Guess what that meant? Faster travel time home for us! Woo hoo! We got home so early I even got to go to the grocery store. If that isn't a great way to end a vacation, I don't know what is. Heh.

The only downside to our trip was that we brought home an ear infection via Karate Kid. This child should have outgrown these things by now. Every time he goes swimming for a few days, he ends up getting one. My first thought was to put plugs in his ears, but the doctor sent home a paper telling us not to do that and why. Instead she is recommending that he be seen by an ENT because his tonsils are huge. All the time. She thinks that maybe his ears can't drain because his adenoids and tonsils are blocking the way thus causing those wonderful infections. It sure would have been nice to find out about this sometime other than the week before school started. Is it selfish of me to not want to use our Fall Break to take care of it? Cause that means my annual trip to my Grandma's and the arts and crafts festivals and the games with my family and the food and the staying up late talking to my sister and sister-in-law, and, and, and...well, it would all not get to happen. And I would be a very unhappy person. So there.

Yeah, it seems like my vacation did a lot for my attitude, dontcha think?

Posted @ 8:28 AM ~ 0 comments

Post a Comment