Saturday, March 25, 2006

Silence Is Golden

This weekend is a welcome respite from the crazy, loud week I've had. My whole family has been gone since 6:00 last night. My sister and another of my friends came over for a while, so I had company during the evening. Normally I don't like to stay by myself at night, but I think my body was craving some peace and quiet.

It's been so nice not having to listen to the noise that my family generates. I also love that I haven't been interrupted a million times by someone asking me to get them something, find something, fix something or buy something. The latter will be short-lived, though, because as soon as Drama Queen gets home and realizes that I didn't make it to the store yet, she'll want to go right away to get the game she's been bugging me about for the last 3 days. Not only have I read the synopsis of this game for myself, she has read it to me at least twice. Actually it's probably been more than that, but I'm perfecting the art of selective hearing.

Members of the male persuasion seem to have been born with this ability, but I am having to learn. You would think I would already be an old pro at it from listening to The Hubster read me every single ad in the paper about whatever it is he is drooling over at the moment. He changes what he wants to buy like he changes his underwear. He continually cycles between a new house, a new camper and a new boat. He is stuck on a new camper right now since I've relented and said that I would like one also.

No matter how many times I tell him I'm a visual person, he insists on reading every ad to me. Everything runs together when he does that. I start getting brands, lengths, year models, and prices all jumbled together in my mind. I don't think he understands yet that I just don't care. All I want is for him to find what he wants, I'll look at it and give him my feedback, and we'll take it from there. His goal is to find a new one by the time we go camping for Memorial Day weekend. The hunt will begin in earnest when he gets home.

Operation Silence is quickly coming to an end. Drama Queen and her friend are meeting me at the movies in T-minus 58 minutes. I'm off to enjoy the quiet while it lasts.

Posted @ 12:05 PM ~ 1 comments

Post a Comment