Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's Going to Be a Long Night!

I have been battling a killer headache the last several days. I've tried taking allergy medicine and ibuprofen, but it hasn't even made a dent. I mentioned to a friend of mine tonight that something must be in the air because my sister and one of her friends were both battling migraines. When I described the pain I was having, she told me she thought mine was a migraine also.

My sister has told me the same thing in the past, but I don't have any of the regular symptoms of a migraine other than a splitting headache. I don't get nauseous. I don't have to lie down and close the shades (although I would jump at the opportunity any time I could get away with it!). I don't see stars, spots, two-headed animals or any other unusual items. My friend still insisted that she thought it was a milder form of migraines.

I was supposed to walk with another friend of mine, but I was very seriously contemplating bailing on her because my head was killing me. The friend I was talking to gave me some Excedrin Migraine to see if it helped. That did the trick. No more headache for me. Yea!!! The walk continued as planned.

But you know what I forgot? That Excedrin Migraine has caffeine in it. And not just some piddly little amount. No, this has the equivalent of a cup of coffee. That's a large shot of espresso for someone who steers clear of caffeine (for medical reasons). When it kicked in, it about knocked me off of my feet. We were walking and then--BAM! Cue the racing heart and shaking. It has been four hours since I took the medicine, and I still feel like one of those toys that you wind up and watch bounce across the table. The one that, if you don't catch it in time, falls to the floor and continues to bounce on its side like it is having convulsions.

I haven't felt this awake in...years! Probably since I was a child who got plenty of rest and was unencumbered by the petty details of life like paying bills and raising children. If I was smart, I would use this energy to my advantage and clean my house and/or do laundry. But I'm not, so I won't.

At least now I know that speed and I could never be friends.

Posted @ 10:24 PM ~ 1 comments

Post a Comment