Saturday, July 15, 2006

Contrasts

Good grief is it hot! It's 9:45 a.m. and the heat index is already 93 degrees (can somebody please tell me what the keystrokes are for the little degree symbol? I have to type the word out all the time.). We are under an excessive heat watch here, but the southern part of the state is under a warning. Good thing I've got a project that I have to do that keeps me indoors.

*edited to add* We now have a heat warning for our county too. I would imagine so since the heat index is 107. It's the humidity that really adds the punch.

Last night a group of girls from my former bunco group and I went out for dinner. We had a blast. We met for dinner at 7:00 at a little deli here in town and sat way in the back where we wouldn't bother anyone and they wouldn't bother us. I haven't seen some of them in months, so of course the conversations were long and full of laughter. I pulled out of the parking lot at 10:25. Karate Kid called three times asking when I was coming home. He just couldn't understand why we were there so long "just for dinner." I haven't felt that relaxed in a long time.

On the other end of the emotional spectrum, Karate Kid told me something very disturbing. Seems that when he was at his friend's birthday party/sleepover last weekend, the birthday boy made the comment: "I wish my life was already over. There's nothing worth living for." I just about came out of my skin when I heard that. This boy just turned 12! Karate Kid told me he couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I explained that those are the types you have to really watch. When they tell friends something like that, there's a good chance they will try to kill themselves. K.K. made the comment, "Why would he say that? He has everything he wants." That gave me a good opening into explaining that having everything you want doesn't make you happy.

The boy's mom is also Drama Queen's Girl Scout leader. They had an all day Brownie workshop yesterday, so I told her I needed to talk to her when she got home. She called and I told her what her son had said. She said that every once in awhile he'll make a comment like that. Her younger daughter has been seeing a counselor for other reasons, so she said she figured she better get him in there too.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it's one thing when you tell your parents that (hasn't every teenager said something to that effect when in the throes of a hormonal meltdown?), but to actually tell your friends that makes it seem so much more serious. And he hasn't even officially hit the teen years yet.

Posted @ 8:56 AM ~ 0 comments

Post a Comment