Friday, February 24, 2006

Sisters

My children recently stayed with my sister and had a great time. In fact, Drama Queen cried when they came home. About a week after their overnight visit, my daughter said something that broke my heart. "Mom, when I'm grown up, I won't have a sister to watch my kids when I'm gone."

My brother is 3 years younger than me. My sister? 14 years younger. I prayed for her to come along for years. Literally. I knew what my parents were going to tell me the split second before they announced the big news. I was so excited about her imminent birth that I skipped a ski trip on spring break so I could be there in case she was born during that time. She was. I remember looking at her through the nursery window and not being able to comprehend that she was really and truly ours.

We shared a room from the time she was a couple of months old until I got married. She is in tears in most of my wedding pictures. I had no idea it would be so hard on her. In fact, she was in the bathroom throwing up right before we left for our honeymoon.

Although we have always been friends, I felt like her second mother for a long time. That has all changed now, though. She has moved into the spot of best friend. Although I have another best friend, my sister has that special relationship that no one else could have with me. She has lived with me through so many things. We share the same parents and the same neuroses courtesy of those shared parents. She knows things about me that I haven't even shared with The Hubster.

The hardest time for me was when she went away to college. I still talked to her all the time, but I felt like we were missing out on a lot of what was going on in each other's lives. Some day she will have to go back and finish, and I am dreading that time. We talk almost every day now, never going more than one day without a phone call. And we love to watch the same TV show and call each other after it is over to discuss it. If we can wait that long. Many, many times we have called on the commercial breaks throughout the entire show, hanging up as soon as the commercial was over.

One of the things I am most grateful for is her encouragement to see my doctor about my depression. I had no idea how badly depressed I was and the difference the medication could make!

So, yes, Drama Queen's statement hit me hard. I feel such a sadness that she won't ever have that special relationship that sisters share. My life is so much better because of mine.

Posted @ 3:34 PM ~ 1 comments

Post a Comment