Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Math Is Not My Strong Suit

I never was any good at math. I managed A's and B's in all of my math classes, but it was a mighty struggle. I never would have passed Geometry if the teacher hadn't let us use our notebook--a compilation of notes from her lectures and the week's homework. It was basically like using the book, if you took good enough notes.

Karate Kid seems to be following in my footsteps. I have never told him that I struggled in math because I didn't want him to think that he would just because I did. He brings his math home every night so I can check it. What a joke. I end up turning back through the whole book trying to figure out how in the world they do this stuff. Thankfully some smart textbook writer put the lesson number next to each one of the problems. It makes it so much easier for us parents to figure things out!

They teach math so differently now. And so much earlier. I wasn't doing some of the stuff that Karate Kid is doing until I was at least in the 9th grade. But I ran across one that I have never, ever seen before. Ever.

What are the next three terms in this Fibonacci sequence?

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, _____, _____, _____ *

And this is only 5th grade math! He is going to be taking Honors Math next year, per his teacher's recommendation. I'm doomed.

(* For all you math majors out there, yes, I figured it out.)

Posted @ 6:58 PM ~ 1 comments

Post a Comment