Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm Starting a Therapy Fund

I have once again inadvertently caused trauma to my daughter. Because of a scheduling snafu, she had to go with me last night when I donated blood at our church's blood drive. I told her she could sit out in the hall, but she chose to come in with me and sit on the far side of the room. When it was my turn, she moved over to my side of the room and then came to stand by me when I told her it was okay.

As I'm squeezing the little foam gripper, I hear one of the workers say, "Let's lay her down." I looked over and saw a young college-age girl who had finished donating but must have gotten queasy. By the time I was finished, she was in the canteen area sipping water and eating something. Since there was only one table in the canteen, Drama Queen and I sat across from her and her boyfriend. Pretty soon she started to feel woozy again. He stood up as she put her head down between her knees. She tried to tell him to get somebody, but he didn't do anything but stand there. I don't know if he kind of froze or what happened. I yelled over to the closest worker, "I think she needs some help." I couldn't believe how fast they all came running. They got there just as she passed out cold. They put her on the floor, got some wet towels, turned a fan on and kept saying her name loudly, trying to get her to come around and respond.

I knew that Drama Queen was probably freaked out, so I tried to act like it was no big deal. I talked to her about it very matter-of-factly and then tried to get her mind off of it. No such luck. She was terrified that I was going to pass out. I explained that I had eaten and had lots of water just like they told me to and that I was feeling fine.

As we left, she began questioning me in earnest.

DQ: What happens if you pass out while we're driving?
Me: If I thought I was going to pass out, I'd pull over and stop the car.
DQ: Should I call 911?
Me: That would be a good idea. Tell them that I just gave blood, though, so they know why I passed out and that I'm not sick.
DQ: What would they do when they got here?
Me: Probably the same thing they did to help that girl.

Every 5 seconds after that she asked me if I was going to pass out. I explained that I felt fine, I would have already passed out if I was going to, etc. Pretty soon the prayers started. When we finally turned onto our street, she was so relieved that we were home and she could run to the neighbors' if something happened.

I have to tell you, though, that once we got in the house, I had to have a serious talk with myself to keep from acting like I was going to pass out. 'Cause I'm evil that way. You'll be happy to know that I didn't damage my daughter any more by yielding to the temptation.

Posted @ 8:51 AM ~ 5 comments

Post a Comment