Tuesday, June 13, 2006



I've been experimenting the last week. Nooo, not like that. I've been doing an experiment in slowing down. After all, it's summer, the ultimate take-it-easy time of year.

For those of you who listen to Alabama, you'll recognize these lyrics:

I'm in a hurry to get things done.
I rush and rush until life's no fun.
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

That, ladies and gentlemen, could be the theme song of my life. I need to check my baby book to see how old I was when I walked. I would bet I was an early walker. And I'm sure it didn't take long for me to learn to run.

Lately I have felt like I am missing out on things. I wake up feeling like I'm running behind and then spend the rest of the day playing catch-up, trying to get as many things done as possible before I drop from exhaustion. I continually feel guilty because I haven't accomplished as much as I wanted. My whole life is passing by in a blur because I'm too busy rushing from one thing to another.

Last week I decided that I'd had enough. I was tired of feeling anxious and stressed out all the time because I was constantly in a hurry. I think it really hit home when I realized how impatiently I was (not) listening to my daughter try to tell me something. I always get so aggravated with her because not only does she do everything in her own time and do it slowly, but listening to her tell a story is like water torture to me. Drip...drip...drip. All I can think of is how much I need to get done and what I could have accomplished in the time it took her to tell me those five sentences.

So last week began my experiment in slowing down. Now I do the same things I normally do, but I slow down to do them. I don't race the clock anymore. I actually sit down every once in a while to let myself rest for 5 minutes before I try to tackle something else. I've been watching TV less and reading more. I even try to move more slowly. For a race walker like me, that's a big accomplishment.

I feel incredibly better. I don't feel the tension in my shoulders and neck as much. I don't feel like I am in a perpetual state of rushing, causing my heart to accelerate and my breathing to be fast and shallow. I am able to be just a tad bit more patient. I feel like I have time for my children again.

It's funny, but I since I've slowed down some, I feel like my day is longer. Now all I need is a wraparound porch, a good book and a cold drink. Actually, just look for me in the hammock instead.

Posted @ 8:47 AM ~ 0 comments

Post a Comment