Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Fun Continues

So Monday was quite the day. About 10:00 Sunday night my tooth started aching. It took until after 2:00 in the morning for me to finally get to sleep. I woke up Monday morning feeling fine. I sorted laundry, had my day going nicely, and then I ate a bowl of oatmeal. Apparently that was a big mistake. The heat from the oatmeal started excrutiating pain in my tooth. I started calling my dentist at 9:00 in the morning and got a message saying they were out of the office until Wednesday but to call a different number for a dental emergency. Apparently that number was his cell phone number, and his cell phone was turned off.

I called my mom around 11:00 to ask her about her dentist and ended up bawling on the phone, so she came over to help me with the kiddos. I called my regular doctor to see if I could get in to see her, and she was also gone that day. The receptionist kept telling me it was a dental problem.

I ended up going to Urgent Care. The fun thing about that is that insurance won't pay for a visit to them if it is for dental reasons. The only way I had been able to keep the pain from totalling consuming me was to swish ice water over my tooth. Urgent Care doesn't allow food or drinks in the waiting room, so I ended up standing outside so I could keep ice water on it. I stood outside for an hour before it was my turn!

The doctor ended up giving me a shot, antibiotics, pain killers, and an NSAID, none of which worked. I spent $154 for nothing. In fact, I ended up getting ahold of my dentist, and the only thing he told me was to double to dosage of pain meds. At 8:00 that night my tooth finally quit hurting, just in time for the medicine to make me sick. We were driving when it hit, so we had to pull over.

Those of you who have been reading for awhile know that Drama Queen is afraid of throwing up. I was standing outside the truck, in the middle of no where, and could hear her crying and saying, "Daddy, please, please just take me over there and drop me off and then come back and get Mom!!" Because being sick isn't enough, she wanted me to stand out on a backroad by myself until he dropped her off at the empty lot we were going to to shoot fireworks. Always the compassionate one, that girl.

Now I'm battling my antibiotics until tomorrow afternoon when I can finally get in to see my dentist. Fun times.

Posted @ 12:21 PM ~ 1 comments

Post a Comment